With the publication of the scientific article Health of Common Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Barataria Bay, Louisiana, Following the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the American Chemical Society’s Environmental Science and Technology journal (December 18, 2013), we thought you may be interested to learn that Dade Moeller has played a major role in the management of samples and data associated with this study.
We provide rapid-response Sample Quality Management and related support to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) through a contract with IEc for the Deep Water Horizon incident.
Our quality-focused services include a turnkey operation of a Sample Intake and Logistical Center in Louisiana, supporting response efforts across the full 1,600 miles of Gulf of Mexico coastline.
Our primary objective in the National Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) process is to ensure the highest level of quality and integrity for the samples and data collected by the program.
Providing these environmental services greatly enhances the completeness, correctness, and usability of environmental data being collected through observations and sampling.
Through our support on this project, more than 99% of the samples collected arrived at the correct lab with an intact chain-of-custody (COC) form within the holding time, and under correct preservation requirements.
Our support has included:
- Environmental sample and data intake from environmental sampling and observation teams, with in-field QA ensuring that all parties agree to the complete set of data prior to demobilizing from the field.
- Procurement, storage, and rapid delivery of supplies to sampling teams.
- On-site accessioning of environmental samples to ensure complete, accurate, and consistent chain-of-custody, which documents the custody and movement of samples and data.
- Packing and shipping samples to ensure accurate, timely delivery without compromising sample or chain-of-custody integrity.
- Long term storage for samples and documents subject to non-disposition requirements.
- Trained sampling technicians and data managers for near-shore and off-shore sampling teams.
We have mobilized more than 200 specialized personnel to support specific missions as part of this work and have processed more than 150,000 environmental samples.
Click HERE to read about the project merit award we won for this work!
To learn more about Dade Moeller’s environmental protection services, click here.